How long does it take to learn Python?
You can learn in 2 months.
To become a good Junior Python developer, your learning goal should be-
- Python basics: Variable, conditions, while loop, for loop, list, function
- 30+ Python coding problems
- 2 python projects
- Data structures, Basic Algorithms, OOP
- Github, hosting, services, API, database, and IDE
- Python frameworks: Numpy, Django, pandas, matplotlib
Once you have a list, now ask yourself how much time you can invest every day based on your current situation.
Learn in 2 months:
If you are super serious (kind of crazy), you can learn Python in 2 months.
- You have to be super dedicated and extremely regular.
- Learning Python will be a full-time activity. You will start at 8.00 am and you keep doing it until 5.00pm. In between, you will take a lunch break and small snacks break (1hour total).
- At 8.00 make a shortlist of things that you will learn today. After that take one hour to revise and practice the things you have learned yesterday.
- From 9.00–12.00: you will learn and practice less. After lunch, you will practice more and if you get stuck you will search online.
- Strictly maintains, 4–5 hours of learning and 2–3 hours of practice every single day (max you can take 1-day/week break).
- Your friends will think that you are crazy. So, be that crazy.
If you can maintain this routine for 2 months, no one can stop you.
Learn in 5 months:
If you have a full-time job or you are a student, you can finish it in 5 months.
- After coming back from your work/school, spend 2–3 hours to learn python.
- Your goal will be to learn one day and practice the next day.
- You learn and revise what you have learned yesterday on your work commute (bus, train).
- During your lunch break, you discuss with your friends/colleagues about learning Python.
You will never learn Python:
Don’t do the following things. You will never finish learning Python if you—
- Don’t plan to learn 1 day/week. or at the weekends only. This plan will never work. Family, friends or cultural events will eat your weekends.
- Don’t rely on your friends/life-partner/dad to teach you Python. They will do it for 3 days and then they will stop.
- Don’t try to understand every single thing. At first, you have to understand a few and then keep exploring more.
- Don’t plan to learn everything that Python can do. Make a small list to get the first job. And then learn at work while you are getting paid.
- Don’t waste time planning and thinking. Just start today.
Where to learn from:
These days there are so many sources to learn python. The first one I will recommend is an android app called: Programming Hero. You can learn beginners to intermediate and advanced content. You can practice coding right on your phone.
You won’t become a Python guru or python expert in 2 months or 5 months. Instead, you will become comfortable with python core parts. And you will be able to work as a junior Python developer.
If you want a day by day plan, check out: Can I learn Python in a month?